Saturday, January 31, 2009

OFF TO THE LIBRARY

You'll hear a lot about libraries on this blog. They're a cause close to my heart, and many of them around the UK are now under threat (and that's even before the financial crisis and all those local authorities mislaying millions of pounds of our Council Tax money down a geyser in Iceland).

So I'm chuffed to say that my very first reader event of 2009 will take place this week in a brand new library, just opened by Leicestershire County Council in the Leicester district of Oadby. Here's a picture of their smart new facilities:












And here's one of the outside. Looks a bit like Marks & Spencers, but we'll forgive them:












So, at 7pm on Thursday 5th February, I'll be 'in conversation' with John Martin at Oadby Library, as part of a week-long series of events for readers. If you fancy being there, phone 0116 305 8763 to book a place.

The official opening will be performed by Barbara Follett, who has the wonderful title of 'Minister for Culture, Creative Industries & Tourism'. But she's in Oadby on Wednesday, so I'm afraid I'll miss her (and I do so like meeting politicians).

No comments:

Post a Comment